[wellylug] Installing Downloaded Canon # MX860 PIXMA Printer Driver in Fedora 12

marchetti marchetti at clear.net.nz
Wed Apr 7 12:34:14 NZST 2010

Hello all,

Below is part of the log of a failed installation.

I looked at Fedora Projects, Docs, Fedora 12 User Guide
#17.1.1 and # 17.2.1, noting there were two installation
methods(PackageKit and Using the Command Line Interface -
latter sounds scary) but both refer to accessing programs in
Repositories where the program is not available. It is in
Downloads,
however. It can be opened, but what to do next to install?

The program, cnijfilter, is also (?) filed in an Archives
location file://home/Keno/Desktop.

I am a newbie to installation/removal of programs from
Fedora version 12, although I have no problems doing this
with Skype, but that installation is automated for ease of
use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Martin

#!/bin/sh

ERR_CODE="128"
big="50"
equal="40"
small="30"

main_module="cnijfilter"
common="common"
version="3.10-1"
arch="i386"

copyright1="Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.$version for
Linux"
copyright2="Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2009"
copyright3="All Rights Reserved."

install_script_fname="install.sh"
config_path_rpm="/usr/local/bin"
config_path_deb="/usr/bin"

err_msg1="Error! Cannot specify package management system."
err_msg2="Error! The appropriate package is not found in the
appropriate directory."
err_msg3="Usage: ${0##*/} [ --uninstall | --version ]"

show_and_exec()