[wellylug] Intel motherboards etc?

Daniel Reurich daniel at centurion.net.nz
Tue Aug 17 17:24:25 NZST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 14:07 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> I'm also interested in the manufacturers' attitudes, too, though -
> nVidia seem to care the least about OSS, while providing the best
> performance. ATI/AMD made promises of support, but almost immediately
> gave up on that, right? And Intel keep plodding on producing mediocre
> chipsets, with no plug-in cards available, but make the most
> contribution to OSS.

NVidia care much about linux and other unices, just not enough to Open
source their drivers.  I read an interview with a lead linux driver
devel, and he said they do keep track very closely what the Nouveau
project is up to and reckon it's heading in the right direction.  There
is

> Oh, and Matrox seem to claim open source drivers, but require a
> proprietary HAL, and their cards are expensive.

Matrox don't figure much in the general desktop/workstation market and
seem to be largely irrelevant these days.

> And there's noone else left (Tseng Labs? S3? SiS? Cirrus Logic?
> Trident?
> Oak? All gone?).
Nope - just mostly irrelevant in the pc/laptop GPU market and or doing
other stuff.

> That would still put on-board Intel at the top of my list, I think.

Fair enough.  I'm more interested in AMD & RadeonHD project - it's
looking pretty good now.

Daniel.