[wellylug] Advice re new or upgrade system please etc

Lillsie lillsiecat at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Feb 22 10:13:25 NZDT 2010

Hi all,

I have re subbed to this list under a different addy so I can now
actually post to it.

My system was bought in 2003, all I am really concerned with is reliability
but would also like to have things working which they dont as my Ubuntu
Dapper
is too old. I.e it doesn't let me look at quite a few movies, my Gaim
messenger
has completely stopped working.

 I have no internal HDD,  3 slide in IDE 80 GB drives, a Ubuntu plus a
back up of it, and a Windoze
drive with MYOB for work. I dont see that I need bigger drives they are
less than 30% full I dont
download music,  or store graphics.

Carl on this list has suggested I keep my old system and get the
following maintenance
done on it by someone :

Clean all the dust out
Make sure cables can't touch fans
Set the BIOS to monitor temperature and shutdown in failure
Set the BIOS to monitor the CPU fan speed and shutdown in failure
Set the BIOS so chips aren't running faster than the standard speed

----

I now realise I have to buy XP to get a back up disk made, I wasn't
trying to be illegal, I just thought I already had it.
I need to find a windoze person to make me a back up on a separate HDD
of my current windows, and is it possible
to do regular back ups at home?

Then I would like to pay a Linux person to use my Ubuntu back up HDD and
upgrade it to a much later
Ubuntu, and can it still have mutt working, with editor as mc etc? Also
I am interested in everything being on
one drive and is it possible to install Windows on the Ubuntu drive in
the 'Virtual Machine'?

If this was all done then I would this new upgraded Ubuntu with XP on it
backed
up to my current back up drive by the linux person.

Is a better option to buy a brand new system, get all new drives, get
someone to transfer
my data to them, get Ubuntu upgraded etc as before? If I got the XP on
the Ubuntu
drive I only need 2 new drives.  Then keep my old system complete and
working as it is in the cupboard somewhere?

Carl pointed out that even with a brand new system it is just as easy to
have some failure
as it is with my current one, however I am concerned with the age of my
current
one and mainly very concerned as it is approaching my flat out time of
year, March to July
when I need my computer full time for my work, and I need both OS's to
function.

Thoughts, paid help, suggestions all welcome.

thanks a lot
regards
Lyndsay

--

"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can
be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people.

"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories
and are called medical research" - George Bernard Shaw

'The question is not, can they reason?  Nor can they talk?
But can they suffer?  - Jeremy Bentham.

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is
concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Fate", The Conduct of Life, 1860