[wellylug] CentOS maintainance

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Jun 24 19:16:46 NZST 2010

John Durham <john.modec at xtra.co.nz> writes:

> This afternoon, my web server was down due to an electrical failure
> (external to the system). It seems to have restarted once power was
> restored.
>
> To be confident of full return to service and long life, would anyone like
> to suggest the best way to maintain the server files, correct errors etc?
> There has to be a simple command for it.

Sorry, I don't think sysadmin(8) has been implemented yet[1], and that is
pretty much what you are asking for: each service and facility on the system
has different needs and, perhaps, different checks that are required.

So, there is no "simple command" to perform all those for you.  It isn't
technically impossible, just very hard, and no one has yet built something
that does it all.

We can probably advise if you tell us which services you are concerned about,
though, how you would best go about checking those individual things — or
general advise about tools that can help you build automatic self-testing of
the system.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...and neither has the prerequisite ai(1) utility.