[wellylug] updating vs bandwidth

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Mar 7 14:09:33 NZDT 2010

David Antliff <david.antliff at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 08:31, Jeff Hunt <jeffhunt90 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To David, what is involved in creating an apt-cacher server. Is this
>> easier than setting up ssh and doing a cli ssh copy as i do?
>
> I've been through all this exercise several times in the last ten years with
> Debian, Ubuntu and even something similar with Gentoo once.  I've written
> rsync scripts, messed around with my own apt proxy, and believe me,
> apt-cacher is *the* way to go.

FWIW, we dropped that in favour of apt-cacher-ng, since apt-cacher would lock
up under sufficient load and stop responding.  Not nice when your production
network suddenly all start complaining about being unable to check for
updates...

[...]

> For all your machines that want to share packages, just edit their
> apt/sources.list file such that:
>
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
>
> becomes
>
> deb http://your-apt-cacher-server/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy
> main restricted

One of the other reasons I like apt-cacher-ng is that it supports acting as a
regular old HTTP proxy for your apt clients; you can simply add this to your
apt configuration and no other changes are needed:

    Acquire::HTTP::Proxy "http://your-apt-cacher-ng-servr:3142/"

        Daniel