[wellylug] updating vs bandwidth

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Mon Mar 8 09:52:33 NZDT 2010

Hi,

If they are a number of boxes on the same network then you could also
use something like apt-proxy, or a properly configured Squid/varnish
cache.  Then you point apt at the proxy and install your packages via
the proxy.

I use this setup on my home network, and it works quite nicely.

It also has pay off if you're using network installs as new installs can
also use the local cache.

It could also be used to build CDs, but I think you'd be better to get
hold of real CDs via another mechanism.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand