[wellylug] High load averages but no apparent cause

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Mar 24 18:36:10 NZDT 2010

David Harrison <david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz> writes:

> I will try the deadline scheduler tonight and see if that makes a
> difference.

You should be able to make the change at run-time, through sysfs, I believe.
It is a property of the hardware devices, IIRC, in sysfs.

> I was mistaken the first time I posted, the server is running Ubuntu 8.04LTS
> with a
> 2.6.24 kernel.
>
> I haven't found an easy way of installing an updated kernel (without
> compiling) so I am thinking upgrading to a newer Ubuntu release maybe
> easier...

Maybe.  It might also be worth talking to the upstream Linux kernel mailing
list to see what they have to say on the topic.  Possibly just "upgrade", but
they may also be able to tell you if this is a known problem, or point to
other ways to work around the issue.

        Daniel