[wellylug] Family History Expo at Johnsonville Community Hall Saturday 27 August.

Jeff Hunt jeffhunt90 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 19:03:42 NZST 2011

This coming Saturday my wife will represent the National Library at
the Family History Expo at Johnsonville Community Hall.

There is no internet cabling. She will have our laptop running Ubuntu
and Gramps to show off how Linux can cope with genealogy but she also
needs online access to the National Library sites to show what they
offer. For this she expects to use two laptops and there is no reason
they can't be someone's Linux set-up. Otherwise she will borrow MS
machines from work.

I have offered to help with the off-line Gramps set up so that Linux
can be used but I have no experience of wireless connections except
that I just tried to use a usb 'Vodem' at home and failed. I don't
want to make a chook of myself in a public forum attempting to show
off Linux. There will be other groups showing their software - some
will presumably bring their own internet access and one assumes no one
else will be using the excellent Gramps package.

Anyone want to hold my hand / offer internet laptops? This could be a
good opportunity for a Government Official (my wife) to be seen using
Linux to access their site. Alas there is no budget. If this is costly
all we can do is offer a small personal contribution. ($20ono).

Just to make myself clear I am not troubled by the static Gramps
machine. It is both Linux laptops and internet access that I need.

I'm not expecting success. But if there is a technical showman with
spare equipment out there wanting to perform for Open Source and allow
Joan to show off the Nat Lib I would be very grateful. This is a long
day from set up at 7 to 8ish, public at 10 and closing to the public
at 5pm. (But we don't need you - just your equipment and expertise ;-)
 )

-Jeff