[wellylug] Learning server admin (was Re: Just discovered server is not serving up pages)

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Jan 20 12:10:49 NZDT 2011

On 20 January 2011 11:51, John Durham <john.modec at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Is there a page of Cent-OS commands I can learn from to start dealing with
> the server issues? It seems like an appropriate time to learn some. Do you
> agree?

There are many, many pages. I recommend Server Fault as a good place to
start looking. They have questions[1] that seem pretty orientated to .

Some things to be aware of:
 - make sure you ask smart questions [2]
 - embrace CLI
 - take some time to understand what a package is. Once you've discovered
how useful they are, you'll never need to download software from vendors'
webpages.
 - almost all Unix variants tend to use the same applications. So, don't
necessarily restrict yourself to CentOS tutorials.
 - however, locations of config files & names of packages can be a pain.

Upshot is that when you're configuring your CentOS system, follow their
instructions (or those of Red Hat, Fedora). However, when you want to lean
how to use the find command, all tutorials should be equally valid.

Best of luck

Tim
  @timClicks
  http://timmcnamara.co.nz