[wellylug] USB 3.0 via PCI-e, & SATA HDD enclosures/docks

David Antliff david.antliff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 10:13:20 NZST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 08:37, David Antliff wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 18:29, Daniel Reurich wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 17:10 +1200, David Antliff wrote:
>>> I'm not sure the mainboard has, or supports eSATA, so I'd be stuck
>>> with a PCI or PCI-e card I think. I don't have the motherboard ID on
>>> hand, but I can tell you it's an Athlon 64 3400+, probably a good 4 or
>>> 5 years old. I doubt it supports hot-plugging of the native SATA
>>> ports.
>>
>> 'lspci -nn' will provide some useful info about your chipset and
>> 'dmidecode t0 -t1 -t2'
>
> Thanks for that, it appears to be a Gigabyte mainboard ("C51-MCP51")
> with a MCP51 chipset, which supposedly supports hot-plugging, so I'll
> give it a try with a normal SATA cable and onboard power. Packages
> 'scsitools' and 'lsscsi' look useful too.

Just a quick follow-up to this - I hooked up a disk and did a few
experiments. Looks like this motherboard supports hot-plugging
'natively', although I'm not 100% sure on the software procedure to
disconnect - obviously I unmount but then what? Just pull the drive?
Or is there a program to notify the chipset that big changes are in
the air?

I bought a cheap 5.25" bay "hot plug" enclosure which has no SATA
bridge, it's just a cable extension, so this should work I think,
without complicating things. I haven't installed it yet but it should
work.

Thanks for your help Daniel,

-- David.