[wellylug] Ubuntu Splash Screen

Rob van der Linde robvdl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:44:17 NZDT 2012

That looks like it changes the Gnome splash screen, which isn't turned on
anymore in newer versions of Ubuntu, and not the boot screen.

What you want to change is called a "plymouth theme", there are some
plymouth themes in the Ubuntu repository:

sudo apt-get install plymouth-theme-solar

For example, and to change plymouth themes you do:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u

Some more plymouth themes in the Ubuntu repository:

plymouth-theme-fade-in
plymouth-theme-glow
plymouth-theme-solar
plymouth-theme-spinfinity