[wellylug] Problems with Archlinux usb wireless.

Jeff Hunt jeffhunt90 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 13:10:12 NZDT 2012

Hello all,

I am attempting to run an Archlinux computer with Ubuntu machines.
During the Archlinux install I ignored wireless and used ethernet
through a network machine. That works fine.
I contact the outside world through a huawei 2degrees usb modem

Now I want to get the Archlinux computer wireless capable without
turning on another machine

In the Archlinux machine I have mode_switch installed so
lsusb recognises the modem as Device [number] ID 12d1:140c Huawei
Technologies Co., Ltd.
the critical thing being the 140c which is a modem not a storage device.

Now I'm told the driver is called usbserial
If I attempt to remove it with rmmod usbserial I get
Module usbserial is in use by: option usb_wwan
That has me at a loss. What is usb_wwan and if usbserial is present
why doesn't it work?

The tutorials tell me to check all is well with iwconfig.
That gives me:>>
lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wireless connections
but then I get nothing about wlan0 or anything else. i expect to see
wlan0 there.

I have tried several internet sites for more ideas and tried using
'modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x140c' to stir it into life
but I have failed.

I've tried to start wlan0 in startup files even though the system
doesn't know what that is. Not surprisingly it didn't work.

My self esteem is in tatters.

Help!!??!!