[wellylug] [Pgug] WellyLUG rekindling

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Thu Mar 14 12:52:54 NZDT 2013

I too am interested in the strong negativity associated with using Facebook.

By all means don't make it prerequisite, but why close that door?

(I have no great love for Facebook, but I would not have figured that
folks would care more about defending their right not to use Facebook,
than their right to make WellyLUG a success? And given the wider
audience that mainstream social networks provide... surely this is a
positive, not a negative, to the cause?)

Mark.

On 14/03/13 12:35, Phil Daintree wrote:
> Yes all initiatives are good ... negativity kills initiative... I only
> recently registered a facebook page - my wife is well into it with
> ipad etc. although she has a puppy linux desktop. I am interested
> about the strong reactions to it though. I wonder if we linux types
> like belonging to a minority tinkerers group and actively eschew any
> mainstream ideas/software simply because it is mainstream? I like to
> think I am open to good ideas irrespective of their popularity but I
> may well actually like being in the tinkerer minority. Improving
> access to our group would be good and FB/some other social networking
> site makes sense in that regard IMHO.
>
> Phil
>
> Ph: +64 (0)275 567890
> Skype: daintree
> http://www.logicworks.co.nz
>
> On 14 March 2013 at 11:23 Hugh Davenport <hugh at davenport.net.nz> wrote:
> > I suggested fb cos I find meetup to suck. Any suggestions welcome
> >
> > Ian Beardslee <ian at karearea.gen.nz> wrote:
> >
> > >Eww seriously if FB is used as the primary, secondary or even tertiary
> > >communication method you can count me out.

*snip*