[wellylug] 2 weeks until Open Source Developers Conference 2013 in Auckland

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Oct 7 08:28:06 NZDT 2013

We've not got long until the event so please help spread the word.

The Open Source Developers Conference (OSDC) has traditionally been held
in Australia and is a non-profit volunteer run event aimed at IT
professionals. This years event runs over 3 days from 21-23rd of October
in Auckland, and is the first time it has been hosted here in NZ. The team
has selected talks that highlight the business value in using Open Source
tools and frameworks, without having an operating system centric focus
like other similar events.

This focus for this years OSDC is Privacy and Security, and a number of
speakers will highlight the benefits of using Open Source technologies in
these areas. Highlights include identity management, protecting your data,
secure programming and how to use the cloud in a secure manner. I’m
particularly intrigued by the “I Know What You Did In The Koru Club Last
Summer
” talk on Tuesday the 22nd.

Architects and developers using Open Source technologies as part of any
Web 2.0 style environment will get a log of value from the Database, PHP,
Rails, PaaS and AWS sessions. Fans of DevOps are also well served with
talks on release management, continuous integration, automated builds and
the benefits of targeting a PaaS.

We’ve got a lot of local companies talking about the befits their business
has derived from building on Open Source including Catalyst IT,
Propellerhead, Intergen and Theta. Open Source industry leaders are well
represented through Red Hat, SuSE, Percona, WSO2 and Mozilla.

This all creates a mix of ANZ and international speakers, with social
events on Monday and Wednesday which provide a great opportunity to
network and make contacts. OSDC is a very grass roots event most speakers
tend to spend the entire event at the venue and attend a variety of talks
themselves. Tuesday evening is reserved for our break out sessions where
attendee’s can organise ad-hoc discussions or development sessions.

Lastly we’ve got some great Keynotes, including Sam Minnée from local
success story Silverstripe, and Vikram Kumar from Mega talking about their
experiences on using Open Source in a secure manner. Tuesday has a panel
discussion on Security and Privacy which is very timely given some of the
recent law changes here in NZ.

Even if you only use Open Source as a small part of your business you
should be able to get a lot of value out of this technical event. For
further details see the conference website http://osdc.org.nz.

Steve
Steven Ellis - Technical Director OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz