[wellylug] video / Linux

E Chalaron e.chalaron at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 28 11:29:31 NZDT 2014

re Weta / park road : they have been running Linux based system for ages
actually.
Da Vinci for say runs on it... In fact plenty of serious video soft are
based on Linux.
Just expensive.

In the opensource world, unfortunately options are limited.
Openshot is nowhere close to a professional tool (yet). Plenty of
effects that belong to the garden gnomes cupboard (my opinion here).
What is needed is serious color correction and temporal denoising not
roll over effects.

The only 2 serious ones are Kdenlive (then again ....) because it can
cut through AVCHD files.

I use Cinelerra. Yes it's not user friendly but not supposed to be anyway.
Strength ?  a render farm system that allows me to process half a
million of 1600x1200 RGB Tiff files overnight through NFS and 8 linux
boxes without EVER crashing.

My 2 cents experience.