[wellylug] video / Linux

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Wed Jan 29 22:19:59 NZDT 2014

I've been using Slackware for multimedia production for about three
years now; largely at a film school where I taught back in Pittsburgh
USA. My weapon of choice for video editing mainly was Kdenlive. Can't
speak highlly enough of it since version .80 and above.

Lately I've also been quite fond of Flowblade, an MLT-based Python
editor. It's pretty basic, but it's an interesting project and i've been
using it here and there for simple stuff.

The real keys, I think, to doing serious multimedia on Linux are:
- have ffmpeg (or libav if you prefer) compiled with support for EVERYTHING

- spend time getting to know how the different multimedia tools
integrate with one another

-choose a stable distro

That's been my experience, anyway. Quite happy with it so far. Linux
also seems to work pretty well at my current job in Miramar.

-klaatu