[wellylug] dpkg stuff

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Mar 27 17:55:35 NZDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 03:20:19PM +1300, E Chalaron wrote:
> I managed to get my debian out of control
>
> #apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
[...]
> #apt-get -f upgrade

Note you didn't actually run the command it said here (install vs
upgrade).  Not sure if that would make a difference given the
issues below, but perhaps worth trying.

> *E: Cannot get debconf version. Is debconf installed?**
> **debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: No such file or directory*
> dpkg: regarding .../libgcc1_1%3a4.7.2-5_amd64.deb containing
> libgcc1:amd64, pre-dependency problem:
>  libgcc1 pre-depends on multiarch-support
>   multiarch-support is unpacked, but has never been configured.

It's generally possible to get yourself out of these sort of situations,
but it can be a rather complex process.  So the suggested solution to
just reinstall is certainly worth considering.

Generally you need to work out which thing actually needs fixing next
and do that, then see if "apt-get -f install" now works.  The trick
is working out what the next step is.

It sounds like debconf probably is actually installed (since it appears
it failed to run apt-extracttemplates).  But my suggestion would be to
check:

ls -l /usr/bin/debconf

If that's missing, try:

apt-get install debconf

If that fails, try installing the .deb for debconf (which you may have
in /var/cache/apt/archives, otherwise download by hand and verify the
checksum) with dpkg -i, e.g.:

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/debconf_1.5.49_all.deb

Or if /usr/bin/debconf is present, check:

ls -l /usr/bin/apt-extracttemplates

And if that's is missing install package apt-utils.

Sometimes the answer is to uninstall the package which is causing
problems, but I doubt uninstalling libgcc1 is a good strategy (on my
Debian unstable system, the resolver fails to find a solution that will
even let that be done, which isn't very surprising).

Cheers,
    Olly