An Intro

jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz
Wed May 24 11:07:10 NZST 2000

Thanks For the intro John, welcome to the group and I hope that we
can serve your needs.

- trim -

> I hope to get a second hand PC to install and run Linux (RedHat
possibly) with Star Office. I would eventually like to run it as a
server with a firewall so that any other PC I have hooked up at home
has at least some minimal protection

A very good idea, and pretty easy to do - at home we have 3 PC's
sitting behind a Linux based Firewall and it works well.

> I have been talking to some friends and they are interested in the
installfest. I like the concept. can we have a Netfest or a
WireUpYourOwnHomeNetFest or something like that?

Installfest will be discussed at the first meeting and we weill
decide when & where to have it. If it turn out we only have a couple
of people interested we can probably hold it at someones house, of
more we can easily get somewhere else.
Regarding a Netfest or a WireUpYourOwnHoneNetFest: this is a damn
fine idea! Perhaps we could integrate this with
an 'EatingPizza&DrinkingCoffeeFest' :-) - A good idea we can then get
some boxes networked and then people can start to play wioth
some 'real' stuff like firewalling, dial on demand (for ISP
connectivity), FTP servers, HTTP servers etc. I'm sure between us all
we can get this rocking along pretty well.