Meeting Formats

Steve Withers swithers at paradise.net.nz
Sun Feb 18 21:53:14 NZDT 2001

Hi All

One of the problems with presentation-based meeting formats is that it
assumes one size will fit all. This is rarely the case.

I used to have something to do with the OS/2 user group a few years ago
and the best sessions we ever had were the chaotic, interactive ones.

By "interactive" I mean.....users brought their PCs along (if they
wanted) and shared their knowledge (or problems) with others. At any one
time there might be 2, 3 or more "mini-presentations" taking place, each
with its own
small group of interested people. Plus the more experienced members
might try to show a less experienced person how to get through some
problem right there on that user's computer. Caveat Emptor applies...of
course. Best Efforts only.

We used to have guys driving down from Palmerston North for some
"hands-on" help with their problems / issues.

To do this sort of thing you need a reasonable-sized room (or two-car
garage) with a few power points and (firm) tressle tables or benches. An
Internet dial capability is useful for downloading device drivers or rpm
packages right then and there. Other than that....little else but the
computers, software and a mutual interest. A couple of hours spent this
way should offer value to almost everyone who attends....every time.

I don't know about you folks but I found I was too busy to simply attend
a meeting once a month and find that at the end of the year only a
fraction of those meetings addressed any issue I might have had. Linux
has so many different areas of interest that I think following the
presentation route can (and often does) end up wasting most people's
time and dissipating their commitment, energy and enthusiasm.....

I don't intend to offend anyone....I'm offering my experience in other
efforts at other times for your consideration.

Steve

--
Regards,

Steve Withers