FAT32 (Windows) partition suddenly "hidden"

Ken McAllister Ken.McAllister at clear.net.nz
Tue Jun 12 16:07:44 NZST 2001

258 Lyttelton Street
Spreydon, Christchurch 8002
Tuesday 12 June 2001

Greetings, Wellylug.
Sorry I cannot come to the meetings.

I shall be grateful for any help on this odd matter:
After installing Mandrake 8 on top of (as an upgrade to) Red
Hat 7, I now have an HDA1 partition which is accesssible to
Linux and is reported by Mandrake as being a "hidden FAT32"
partition, but which is inaccessible to Windows. The DOS
FDISK reports it simply as a non-DOS partition. Is there
any simple way of restoring the option of a Windows boot?

LILO has this option still, but there is nothing there to
boot.

Most, but not all, of my windows files are readable in
Mandrake (StarOffice5). Is there a simple pattern to the
failures? I have tried using eight-character file names and
only one dot.

That reminds me that I am still in root. I shall send this
and get out at once.

Thanks in advance
Ken McAllister