[wellylug] MEETINGS - An idea for a new format:

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 7 17:45:15 NZDT 2001

> > Any thoughts on this, or suggestions of other locations gratefully
> > received.
>
> The room at WCC that LAW was using was quite good as far as I was
> concerned - easy to get to, being central city, it's what all the public
> transport is targetted at. And AFAIK it was free, and people were
> certainly able to get in before Spiro (the organiser) got there, so
> organisers being absent shouldn't matter. About the only problem was
> figuring out how the light switches worked :-)
>
> In terms of keeping it cheap - I'm never sure how important that is.
>
> This group (and LAW) are very informally run, and I think that may be
> one of the reasons why LAW is almost dead (the mailing list has
> occasional bursts of life, but it doesn't meet), and this LUG is
> drifting. Nobody other than Jamie (apologies if I'm wrong here) has made
> any financial or organisational commitment to it.
>
> All the longstanding and successful groups I've been involved with have
> had elections, committees, subscriptions etc.

Ok would someone like to find out how we go about getting a room at the WCC
and what the story is with access etc. I know that I turned up to a couple
of LAW meetings, couldn't get into the building so left. If we can get
around this it might be do-able.

Some sort of Committee sounds like a damn fine idea - perhaps we should
start to formalise some sort of AGM for November this year to 'get the ball
rolling'. Some discussion on committee structure, fees etc. should take
place here prior to formal notification of a meeting to elect officers etc.

---

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/lug/