[wellylug] Draft survey of financial contributions to Linux distros

Damon Lynch damon at dev-zone.org
Wed Aug 14 13:12:48 NZST 2002

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever surveyed NZ Linux users to see if and how they
financially contribute?  Could we have that facility on the NZOSS site?
There is a nice survey tool, phpESP.  Someone may have another
preference.

Some suggested questions for those who already use Linux (if you like to
edit, add, perhaps it is best to do so on the NZOSS list etc):

1)Have you ever contributed financially to a Linux distribution?
 1.1.Yes
 1.2.No, but perhaps I should
 1.3.No, I never will
 1.4.No, I contribute code instead
 1.5.No, but I do a lot of testing of beta releases
 1.6.No, I use a distribution that requires no revenue
2)If yes, did you contribute via:
 2.1.Purchasing a boxed set
 2.2.Making a donation
 2.3.Paying for services (e.g. Mandrake Club, Red Hat Network)
 2.4.Buying shares
3)If yes, have you contributed:
 3.1.Regularly
 3.2.Occasionally
 3.3.Only once
4)If yes, to which distribution(s):
 4.1.Mandrake
 4.2.Red Hat
 4.3.Suse
 4.4.Debian
 4.5.Gentoo
 4.6.Sourcemage
 4.7.Other: __________
5)Do you think contributing financially is a good idea?
 5.1.No, Linux is free and users should never have to pay anything for
it
 5.2.Yes, distribution companies and volunteers have to survive somehow
6)Is Linux and open source software generally a social good in the sense
of values like openness and cooperation, in contrast to piracy and
secrecy that often accompanies closed source software?
 6.1.Yes, Linux use should be encouraged
 6.2.No, Microsoft is correct when they describe core Linux philosophies
as being like a cancer
 6.3.I don't have a clue what is being asked
 6.4.Other: ________________
7)If you answered No to 5 and Yes to 6, how to you envisage developers
of open source software should be paid? _______________
8)Do people who distribute self-burned Linux CDs in NZ have a moral
obligation to contribute financially to the Linux distributions they are
selling:
 8.1.Yes
 8.2.No
9)Do you believe commercial Linux distributions are:
 9.1.Doomed to failure because of the licensing scheme of the GPL
 9.2.Potentially have a healthy future as more people use Linux
 9.3.Don't know
10)Who are you representing when answering this survey:
 10.1 commercial business
 10.2 government agency
 10.3 non-profit organisation
 10.4 private non-commercial user