[wellylug] help - strange LAN problem

Donald Gordon don at dis.org.nz
Sat Dec 7 17:13:25 NZDT 2002

On 07 Dec 2002 13:37:31 +1300 David McNab <david at rebirthing.co.nz> wrote:

> I've got IPtables set up on the gateway box to route packets between
> eth0 and eth1. Has worked perfectly until today.

IP Tables doesn't route; it firewalls, mangles packets, etc.  Your
gateway could forward packets between its interfaces even if iptables
was not compiled into its kernel.

> But now, when I boot up the workstation box, the gateway won't route
> packets between eth0 and eth1
>
> But when I do ifdown/ifup eth0 on the workstation box, the gateway box
> does its iptables routing perfectly.

So this means (assuming I understand what you mean): when the
workstation boots, it can ping the gateway but not the jetstart router;
when you ifup/ifdown eth0 on the workstation, it can ping the gateway
*and* the jetstart router.

Is the workstation set up to pick up an IP address via DHCP, or is it
statically assigned?

dont

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/CBxunD/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM