[wellylug] A little project....

Rob Giltrap - Ubiety Group rob at ubietygroup.com
Mon Jul 15 15:46:05 NZST 2002

Hi All

I have been speaking with the '2020 Communications Trust'. They have
been given 400 PCs (mostly Pentium with 64MB memory) from the Wgtn City
Council to distribute to charitable organisations within Wellington.

A problem they have is that this PCs often come without the MS licences
and to pay for them is not an option. The would prefer to investigate
putting open source software onto these machines so that they are usable
by the non-profit orgs and then they don't have to worry about being
audited.

I have suggested that this could be a project for the WellyLUG members
to come up with a solution. Due to the age/power of the machines loading
RH7.3 and cranking up Gnome/Nautilus is not going to be viable. There is
also the question of ongoing support and training which will need to
have answers.

If we are interested in taking on this challenge the 2020
representitives will come to the next WellyLUG meeting.

Your ideas/comments will be well recieved.

Thanks, Rob.

Save on REALTOR Fees
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/