[wellylug] A little project....

Tom Peck tom at masaclaw.co.nz
Mon Jul 15 15:59:11 NZST 2002

Hi Rob

When you say 'Pentium with 64MB memory' do you mean Pentium first
generation 75Mhz - 150Mhz machines?

I have successfully setup Debian Woody on a Pentium 133Mhz - it's rather
slow when running programs locally (like mozilla), but using it as a
terminal type machine works fine when connected to a decent server
system (mine connects to a P3 700, running Gnome2 + GDM).

What sort of software will be needed on the systems?  I'd recommend
Debian as a fairly easy to install low resource requiring distro.

Tom

Rob Giltrap - Ubiety Group wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have been speaking with the '2020 Communications Trust'. They have
> been given 400 PCs (mostly Pentium with 64MB memory) from the Wgtn City
> Council to distribute to charitable organisations within Wellington.
>
> A problem they have is that this PCs often come without the MS licences
> and to pay for them is not an option. The would prefer to investigate
> putting open source software onto these machines so that they are usable
> by the non-profit orgs and then they don't have to worry about being
> audited.
>
> I have suggested that this could be a project for the WellyLUG members
> to come up with a solution. Due to the age/power of the machines loading
> RH7.3 and cranking up Gnome/Nautilus is not going to be viable. There is
> also the question of ongoing support and training which will need to
> have answers.
>
> If we are interested in taking on this challenge the 2020
> representitives will come to the next WellyLUG meeting.
>
> Your ideas/comments will be well recieved.
>
> Thanks, Rob.
>

>   .-.   Wellington
>   /V\   Linux
>  // \\  Users