[wellylug] Gentoo

Tom Peck tom at masaclaw.co.nz
Thu Jun 20 17:36:50 NZST 2002

I am glad I no longer have to worry about RPM dependency nightmare's -
and i've had a few (Mandrake 8.1 being my previous OS - ever tried
upgrading PHP to the latest??).

But, if I come across a package which is only available via RPM I would
either get the tool which convert's RPM's to TGZ's (can't remember what
this tool is called), or i'd 'emerge rpm' and rpm --no-deps it..  I
don't know when this would be the case though.

Gentoo, at the moment is a new and small outfit of developers probably
struggling financially themselves (hell, i'm pretty sure they don't make
a buck out of what they do with Gentoo).  Any spare $$ they have
floating round should deservedly be deposited in their pockets.

Choose what distro suits you best, as usual - i'm currently more than
happy with Gentoo.  Try it out, and you would probably think the same..

Tom

P.S.  I'm looking forward to more SOF2 when i get home via winex (emerge
winex) - works flawlessly :-).

Damon Lynch wrote:
> What do you do when a package is only distributed via RPM?  Can you
> still use it?
>
> Mandrake contributes financially toward the development of KDE and other
> projects.  Does Gentoo?
>
> Damon

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!