[wellylug] Multi O/S boot issue

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Thu Nov 7 11:40:59 NZDT 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:10:33 +1300
Paul Ellen <Paul.Ellen at indeserve.co.nz> wrote:
> I have a Mandrake / WindowsXP multi boot pc and have done an install
> to hard drive of Knoppix.

All my booting problems went away permanently when I switched from LILO
to GRUB.

It felt somewhat like in the early '80s, when I switched from Assembler
to C - painful and unfamiliar for a very short time, but blissful
thereafter.

There's an excellent tutorial on GRUB - short and to the point, in a
section of the Gentoo installation manual. It explains beautifully in a
non-gentoo-specific way, and will get you set up. See:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/build.html#doc_chap16_sect7

The splendour of GRUB is that you only have to write out the MBR once,
and all the MBR knows is which partition to look in to find its config
file.

Thereafter, you only need to change the config file - no need to keep
rewriting the MBR each time you change the boot setup. This makes system
rescue a dream.

My own machine boots quite happily into Debian, Knoppix and Win2k from
GRUB. FYI, here's my GRUB config (note that my Win2k disk is on
/dev/hdc1). Note that (hd0) = /dev/hda, (hd0,1) = /dev/hda1, etc. In
general, (hdi,j) means the 'i'th actual hard disk, and the 'j'th
actual partition, counting from zero.

default 0
timeout 4

title=Debian 2.4.19 desktop
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19 root=/dev/hda2 hdd=ide-scsi

title=knoppix
root (hd1,5)
kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-xfs root=/dev/hdc6 lang=en

title=W2k
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

title=memtest
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/memtest86.bin root=/dev/hda2

> 	Any suggestions gratefully appreciated

Switch to GRUB.

Cheers
David