[wellylug] PCI Lan Cards

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Sep 25 12:41:33 NZST 2002

--- Jamie Dobbs <jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> I'm trying out a new piece of firewall software (Astaro -
> http://www.astaro.com/) and it requires PCI network cards.
> Unfortunately neither of the PCI network cards that I have available
> (A Compaq ThunderLAN, and an early Realtek PCI) work.
> Does anyone have a couple of PCI NICs they would be prepared to lend
> me for a few days so I can try out this software? Or alternatively
> does anyone know where I can get a couple of cheap NICs that might
> work?

The Genius 10/100 based on the RTL8139 chipset work fine for me & are around
$25 +GST. The only caveat I have with these is that they bog down horribly if
there are too many concurrent connections. That makes them OK for workstations,
but I'd go for an Intel or tulip (now also Intel) chipset based card for a
server.

Sorry I can't loan you any, I'm away from today for a couple of week :-(

Cheers

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/