[wellylug] I have installed Linux Mandrake 9.1, Now what?

Rose McGillicuddy rmcgillicuddy at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 23 12:26:11 NZST 2003

Peter Jones wrote:

>I recall Rose McG also had a problem when attempting to run startx with 9.1.
>
>Prety sure every Mandrake install I have tried (up to and including 9.0) had
>the GUI as the default
>option, has something been changed?

Yes I had problems with GUI in Mandrake 9.1 - a local Linux person tried
to configure it for me but couldn't do it either.  I now have Red Hat 8
installed and finding my way  around that.  So far does the basics that
I need - print, connect to internet, word process etc.  I just need to
learn it now.  I bought "Red Hat for Dummies" some months ago, but
didn't initally use it for any length of time as couldn't configure
printer, but a friend sorted that out for me.

So far the only problem is my lack of knowledge (which I am working
on!), and the sound card, which isn't major.  I liked the Package
Manager in Mandrake 9, so far haven't needed to install anything using
that.  Did download and get opera going.

 From the reading of LinuxQuestions and Linux Mandrake news group that I
did, seems as though a number of people have had problems with XFree and
Mandrake 9 or 9.1, and changed to another distro okay.

Hope this helps

Rose