[wellylug] apt configuration on clean install.

Ewen McNeill wellylug at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Tue Aug 19 09:59:10 NZST 2003

In message <20030818145037.GA12752 at Digital>, Cameron Hart writes:
>booted back up, I configured my /etc/apt/sources.list with the paradise
>sources, and did a "apt-get update", and it worked fine, except it
>doesn't seem to be updating dpkg's available database.

The apt database and the dselect one (which is what I presume you're
talking about) are separate (for historical reasons I think).  You can
use "dselect update" to update both (providing dselect is using apt as
its access method) -- or the "update" option in the dselect menu.

If you've already done an "apt-get update" recently then the "dselect
update" will run very quickly, since it just rebuilds its view of the
available packages based on the already downloaded package files.

Personally I use apt-get and apt-cache pretty much exclusively these
days so don't usually bother with updating the dselect database.

Ewen