[wellylug] Re: how to adapt this iptables setup?

Brian Boutel brian at boutel.co.nz
Wed Aug 27 11:09:33 NZST 2003

Johann Koenig wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:15:27 -0400
> Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>

>>Ok.  There is no /etc/rc.d in my Debian system.  /etc/rcX.d has some
>>meaning beyond just being another place to gather files - it
>>corresponds to runlevel X, and gets swept automatically as the system
>>passes through that runlevel.  What is the meaning and equivalent of
>>/etc/rc.d?  The other directories referenced appear to exist.
>

> Usually scripts are put in /etc/init.d in debian and symlinked to
> /etc/rcX.d (X being the runlevel) with the appropriate Sxx/Kxx (xx
> corresponding to the order in which the scripts are run) prefix. I would
> assume from what you are saying is that /etc/rc.d is the RH equiv of
> /etc/init.d

No. In RH, /etc/rc.d contains links to the various /etc/rcX.d
directories and init.d, and misc rc files like rc, rc.local and rc.sysinit.

I assume that conventions have changed over time, so the present mess is
designed to ensure that programs that refer to /etc/rcX.d/Sxxscript or
to /etc/rc.d/rcX.d/Sxxscript will all work.

--brian
--
Brian Boutel
Wellington New Zealand