[wellylug] Mandrake 9.0 - and for fellow non-experts in general

Lyndsay Mountfort lyndsaym at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 21 11:29:46 NZDT 2003

Hi Rose

I won't answer your question, as that's been done already. But, as a
relative newbie to Linux myself I'll pass on the best hint anyone ever
gave me:

If you don't know the command-line way of doing anything at all and you
don't want to wait for the helpful experts monitoring this list - try
this: go to a console window, and type "apropos " and a keyword related
to your problem. If you get lots of results then "pipe" the results to
"less", so you can scroll around the output.

For example: "apropos user | less" gives lots of possible commands
related to user stuff, and scrolling down you'll find "useradd", with a
brief description of what it does.

Then you can type "man " and the command you're interested in, for
detailed info (e.g "man useradd").

Hope it helps. It's really saved me many, many hours!

Lyndsay

Rose McGillicuddy wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>A friend has installed Mandrake 9.0 onto my computer.   I was not there when he did this and the only account is the "root" or administrator one.  I have had a breif search of the menus to set up a user account but no luck.  I am reluctant to fiddle about as root in case i accidentally mess something up.  Can someone please tell me how to add a user in Mandrake.
>Many thanks
>Rose

>  .-.   Wellington
>  /V\   Linux