[wellylug] Re: e2fsck problems

teejay1203 <teejay1203@hotmail.com> teejay1203 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 23 19:22:05 NZDT 2003

Have tried using rescue to sort out this problem. I can mount the
linux partitions, and am trying to copy some information either onto
the Win XP partition or to floppy, only to find that I cannot copy
the files to either a XP partition or a floppy (seem to be mounted
read only).

Does anyone know how I can pull out about 3m of file that is stored
in a directory under / so that I can reinstall MDK 9 Linux?

Thanks
--- In wellylug at yahoogroups.com, I wrote:
> I have a 513m P3 running Windows XP/Linux with XP taking up 3
drives
> (C D and E with 10G, 8G, 10G) and Linux taking up the last 10G.
>
> Tonight I tried to boot up Mandrake Linux 9 which came up with the
> following :
>
> Checking root filesystem
> fsck.ext3/dev/had6
> Superblock could not be read or does ot describe a valid ext2
files
> system. If a device is valid and it really contains an ext2 File
> system (and not a swap or ufs or somthing else) then the
superblock
> is corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternative
> superblock
>
> e2fsck - b 8193 <device>
>
> Bad magic number is superblock whiel trying to open /dev/hda6
> (failed to check filesystem. Do you want to repair the errors (Y/N)
>
> When I try to enter "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hada{6..9) it just gives
> the fs2ck options and nothing else
>
> Can someone tell me (preferably in English) what the above means,
> and what I should do?

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FpY02D/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/