[wellylug] Printing

Joerg Frochte joerg.frochte at uni-essen.de
Tue Jun 3 19:30:52 NZST 2003

* Jamie Dobbs <jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz> [030603 02:49] schrieb:

> I think I just solved my own problem. If I put a 'printer' called
> kprinter into the printer name in the print dialogue it calls up the
> kprinter print app and I can print properly.

It seems, that you are using Cups. But most Unix-Apps assume that lpr/lp
is running. kprinter is one solution, but only if you are working under
X most of the time. And it's not that optimal if you are using GNOME or
windowmaker for example.

If you are using Debian just type

apt-get install cupsys-bsd

so the BSD commands like lpr/lp will be available an your
cups-based-printing-system.

After all, you can also install

qtcups
or
gtklp

so you don't load all the KDE-stuff, if you are working under
windowmaker/fvwm2/GNOME etc.

You can use them like kprinter.

bye,

Joerg