[wellylug] rsync - helps speed up downloads (tip for new users)

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Tue Mar 18 15:02:39 NZST 2003

On Tuesday 18 Mar 2003 12:25 pm, Glen Ogilvie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought I should let the group know about how to use Rsync, and what it
> is useful for.

My brother was telling me he uses it to do daily backups. He used to have
everyone's My Documents folder on a central samba share, and back that up.
Now everyone's My Documents folders are back on their own machines, and at
midnight he rsyncs them to a backup dir on the server, then cpio (tar on
steroids) to a tape. Much better use of bandwidth!

Luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker
MUSAC

"Virtual" means never knowing where your next byte is coming from.

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/