[wellylug] WLUG Logo

Tony Wills ajwills at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 19 09:59:28 NZST 2003

I didn't say MUST, I said *must* :-)

>A read at http://www.sjbaker.org/tux/ shows that there was an orginal live
>penguin who served as the model for tux. So using a live NZ penguin as a model
>does follow tradition.

No TUX was not based on a specific live penguin, the link shows that the
image was spelled out from Linus's imagination

'So when you think "penguin", you should be imagining a slighly overweight
penguin (*), sitting down after having gorged itself, and having jjust
burped. It's sitting there with a beatific smile - the world is a good
place to be when you have just eaten a few gallons of raw fish and you can
feel another "burp" coming'

Larry Ewing's rendition of Linus's description won popular acclaim.

>http://johngalt.crosswinds.net/tux.htm provides a gallery of tuxes, where it
>can be seen that while the original tux is usually the basis for further
>cartoons, there is a range of non-tux penguins which have also been used.

The vast majority of linux related penguin inclusive logos are based on TUX
and in my opinion the best ones are the ones that give a clean TUX image
adorned with local flavour ... Symbolic of the flexibility of the
versatility of the Linux kernel used in many guises.

See http://lwn.net/Gallery/ for inspiration.

>...WLUG should consider a wide range of options before choosing one
>rather than being too constrained at first. There may be some great idea
>from out in left field somewhere. It may not even be penguin based.
>
>Or use Larry's tux as the model for a yellow-eyed penguin cartoon & maybe have
>the best of both worlds :-)

Yes, I agree that we are just looking for ideas and a particular
implementation of an idea shouldn't be accepted or rejected on it's
technical perfection, if we can come up with a concept maybe an artist can
render it in style.

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/