[wellylug] Writing commercial apps which connect to GPL software.

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Mon Mar 31 08:47:02 NZST 2003

On Sunday 30 Mar 2003 8:56 pm, Nigel Walters wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The problem is that my friends applications are Visual Basic program
> written to MS Office api's. Now the actual connection to MySQL would
> be via a GPL'ed ODBC link with proprietary MS Office.
>
> My reading of the GPL tells me that since MySQL is not necessary to
> my friends applications (it could be replaced by any ODBC compliant
> database) we should be okay...

Give PostgreSQL a go - it is covered by the BSD license, has more
features (triggers, stored procedures, solid transaction support) and
is generally regarded as more "industrial strength". It just isn't as
well marketed as MySQL. Personally I'd like to see them change their
license to LGPL or similar to protect themselves from blatant
plagiarism (cf. wine ;-)

Cheers,
Jon

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!