[wellylug] Idea from tonights meeting

Eugene Van Wyk Eugene.VanWyk at 4rf.com
Wed May 14 09:17:12 NZST 2003

Sounds like another great idea.

Eugene van Wyk
Test Development Engineer
4RF Communications
26 Glover str
Ngaraunga
Wellington
New  Zealand

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Wills [mailto:ajwills at paradise.net.nz]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 May 2003 10:47 p.m.
To: wellylug at lists.naos.co.nz
Subject: Re: [wellylug] Idea from tonights meeting

What I'd love to see is a small linux course set up where we get hold of

one of the sets of online course materials (or maybe a good textbook)
and
setup a regular hobby class, perhaps meeting once a week (maybe on
weekends).  If we're working to set material then we're not dependant on

some particular individual being available at every class, but when an
expert on a particular topic is available it would be a bonus ...

I personally find a presentation or lecture style session a lot less
useful
than a hands on interactive style of learning ...

I envision keeping to small groups, perhaps only 4 or 5 - small enough
have meetings in peoples homes even.

We could also ask members of this User Group to list their areas or
expertise so we'd know where to ask those curly questions when immediate

clarification was needed.  Of course we could put queries on this
mailing
list or go to various newsgroups when a less immediate response would
do.

.... ?

--- Tony

At 22:09 12/05/03 +1200, you wrote:
>This evening I spent some time talking to a gentleman about how we run
>the club and he gave me some valuable insight into the fact that
perhaps
>we are not as geared towards 'newbies' as we should be. Given this fact
>I would like to suggest the following actions points:
>
>1. Elect a small committee, in the shape of a chairman, treasurer, and
>person in charge of training materials etc.
>
>2. Have each meeting structured such that we have an initial
>introduction then break into two separate groups, one aimed at the
>beginners at the far end of the room, the other aimed at intermediate
>advanced users. The beginners group would take the format of a basic
>introductory thing where each month might cover a couple of common
Linux

Wellington Linux Users Group Mailing List: wellylug at lists.naos.co.nz