[wellylug] Saturn Cable Modem Setup

Ewen McNeill ewen at naos.co.nz
Sat May 17 12:05:51 NZST 2003

In message <3EC61C6C.20299.CA4575 at localhost>, pmilne at paradise.net.nz writes:
>Incidentally there is an error under the Saturn description - it says that
>Gateway is the allocated ISP number but with 1 on the end.  In my case
>ISP is 203.79.118.x , but the gateway is 203.79.116.1 .

What is your netmask?

A gateway of xxx.yyy.zzz.1 is appropriate for a network address of
xxx.yyy.zzz.??? if the netmask is 255.255.255.0 (ie, a "class C" in the
old parlance) which is what Paradise/Saturn used to use.
(203.79.72.0/24, aka a netmask of 255.255.255.0, in my case)

It's possible that 203.79.116.1 could be your gateway, but only if your
netmask was something like 255.255.252.0 (note second to last number is
different from the examples above), otherwise your system will not see
the gateway as being on the same network as your system, and hence it
will not work at all.  (Your system has to be able to reach the gateway
without relying on routing via another system -- that's what the gateway
is for (the other system to route things through), so if you needed a
gateway to reach the gateway you'd be in a bit of a catch-22 situation
:-) )

Saturn's Cable Modem setup is essentially a spread out LAN (with static IP
addresses) from a configuration point of view.  So you should be fine
setting it up with whatever you use to set up a LAN connection under
Mandrake (I've not used Mandrake myself; I normally use Debian).
Editing files in /etc/ should only be required if that's what you do
normally to set up a LAN connection.  (It is with Debian, but I suspect
it isn't with Mandrake.)

Ewen