[wellylug] Wellington Linux Users Group - Survey

Chris Harris chris.harris at actrix.gen.nz
Fri Nov 14 19:14:39 NZDT 2003

> 1. Should the Wellington Linux Group adopt a basic set of rules
> and steering
> committee? Y/N

Maybe

> 	(This would mean the LUG can raise and spend money, apply for
> grants, and participate in events. The committee
> 	would help plan actions for both meeting venues )
>
> 2. Do you want to see a published calendar of topics to be covered by
> presenters? Y/N
> 	(Even a couple of months ahead to allow interest to focus at
> meetings)

Yes, but I don't necessarily expect people to provide that amount of
advanced warning.

> 3. Do you think the Group should have a stand at public events for
> promotional purposes? Y/N
> 	(for promoting Linux and both meeting venues)

All these 'Should' questions!

We **Could**

> 4. Is one installfest a year enough? Y/N
> 	(installfests allow people to experience Linux and have it installed
> by people who know most issues)

It depends on demand, competition and what the organisers hope to achieve

> 5. Should leaflets be created and distributed to shops to promote the LUG
> and Linux? Y/N
> 	(enable broader public awareness and maybe gain discounts)

Another 'Should question!!

They could

> Personal:
> 1. Would you be prepared to pay a membership fee (say $20/year) to support
> the LUG? Y/N
> 	(a nominal amount to be used to purchase more disks or membership to
> other organisations)

That would depend on what the stated goals of the LUG were and what I
expected to get out of it.

Would this mean non-subscribers would be excluded?  If so a categorical no
as it flies in the face of the openness of Linux.

> 2. Would you put in some time to support LUG activities at public events?
> Y/N
> 	(even a couple of hours at a public event minding the stand and
> talking to people)

What activities?

> 3. Would you be prepared to present your experiences to the meetings? Y/N
> 	(Good or bad - not necessarily a presentation, just a bit of shared
> experience)

Yes

> 4. Would you support the LUG by participating on the committee or in an
> activity/event? Y/N
> 	(not a difficult task and very little time involved)

maybe

> 5. Are you satisfied with the current venues? Y/N
> 	(apart from parking are these venues satisfactory?)

no opinion, as I have not been there.

> Please remember - forward this message to colink at clear.net.nz -
> not back to
> the list!

Well I think this would make an interesting thread and that we are likely to
get more out of it that way than as a private questionnaire.

Regards,  Chris