[wellylug] WellyLUG List Noise Levels

Stephen Judd sljudd at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 30 18:39:44 NZDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 05:20, Jethro Carr wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 10:40, Ewen McNeill wrote:
> > In message <1067463161.1709.3.camel at genesis>, Centurion Computer Technology Ltd writes:
> > >I thought the mailing list could be set to dump all the html, it was
> > >like that when we used yahoo groups.
> >
> > I can put this on my "to do" list -- along with stick "spam filtering"
> > in front of the mailing list submission (which I also need for another
> > list I'm running).  No promises for when it'll be done though.
> No, this is really bad, for many people such as I, who uses mostly
> simple HTML emails like this, or footers.

I think it should be policy that we *prefer* plain text. But I don't
think blocking HTML is the answer.

If Ewen is suggesting stripping the HTML markup from the text and
converting to plain text, I'm all for it.

> How ever, I could make a text based signature file...
>
> But most people do use html mail, and many web mail accounts force you
> too, and It's time to face that many emails are sent in HTML.

I am a throwback! A holdout! A diehard! I shall send in hard-wrapped
ASCII as God intended, until you prise the burned-out keyboard from my
hands!

> If you run a GUI, there is no real excuse not to have a HTML
> compatible email program...

Not everyone runs a GUI, for one thing.

For another, HTML mail is harder to edit neatly for quoting purposes.

If you run a GUI, surely there is no real excuse not to say "don't send
HTML to wellylug at lists.naos.co.nz"? Mozilla and Evolution both let you
do this - hell, even Outlook Express lets you do this!

Stephen