[wellylug] Kernel Compile

Leslie Boardman elbe at araitanga.com
Tue Sep 2 21:08:10 NZST 2003

Funny how one thing leads to another...

I am using debian woody on an Acer 202T laptop.  While I think I know
enough not be a 'newbie' I realise I am at the point where my knowledge
is dangerous :-) so before I barrel off and cause much mess I thought I
would ask the wise for their advice.

This is my first post to the mailing list (well I did send one ages ago
but by the time I found out it had gone to the wrong place I had
stumbled across a solution to my problem).

A while ago a security update of the kernel left me without a package
for the alsa drivers for the bf2.4 kernel so I have no sound.

I have finally discovered how to prepare a .deb file of just the modules
compiled against the current kernel source (we'll see how successful
this actaully is in a few days).

As part of my fiddlings I ended up compiling a new kernel.  I have a few
niggles before I go and install this beastie:

1.  Is there somehow a seperate /etc/modules file for each kernel or do
I just have to be consistent with which are modules and which are
compiled in?

2.  There are lots of options that are chipset specific (fixes etc).  Is
there a good 'one stop site' or some method to work out which chipsets
are in your machine or is it trial and error?

3.  Is there any place where the config options for the precompiled
debian kernels can be read?

4. Am I right in thinking that when it all goes pear shaped all I have
to do is boot off a rescue disk and edit lilo.conf to point back at my
old kernel?

Thanks in advance!

Leslie

--
Leslie Boardman, E: elbe at araitanga.com, ICQ:153582540
PGP Fingerprint:EDBB E4CD C87F 528F 9998 824E 013A EE94 A27A B6D1