[wellylug] second installfest meeting & situation update

Centurion Computer Technology Ltd daniel at centurion.net.nz
Tue Apr 13 20:55:55 NZST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 17:39, Wood Brent wrote:
> > I might be able to do some winmodem stuff if you want... You sort of get
> > put off linux, if you have to buy a new modem!
>

> I'm hoping the Genius ones using the Lucent DSP chip (only partly a Winmodem
> :-) will be simple to set up & run, and we'll be selling them at < $30. Can't
> do much else if someone turns up with a conexant, or incompatible AMR riser,
> etc. Will be trying one soon to check they work OK (or Michael will be). Other
> modems based on the same chipset work OK, but most are a few more $$. Hardware
> warranty will be covered (at the very least) by me. I think it is cheaper than
> buying the Conexant drivers?

Just be aware that some of the more recent lucent chipsets are the same
as used on the amr riser cards and they don't work as yet, atleast not
last time I checked.

> > I know that the conexant modem drivers are now commercial, but I can
> > help to set up the other types. (I have a lucent at home).

A search on the web should find the pre-commercial drivers for the
conexant modems.

I have made some of the Pc-Tel based modems often found in laptops work,
even tho they aren't supposed to.

For less fuss and better reliability I can arrange a supply of external
hardware modems.

Regards,
--
	Daniel Reurich