[wellylug] (no subject)

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Thu Apr 15 00:25:34 NZST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Jamie Dobbs wrote:

> To me that is as offensive as someone knocking on my door and trying to
> force their religion on me, and would et exactly the same response:
>
> "I'm sorry, I'm not interested" and then close the door.

Just to stir things up a bit...

I wouldn't consider that "trying to force their religion on [you]". I
would consider that as giving you an opportunity to learn something.
Whether you take it or not is up to you. "Forcing their religion" would
involve, well, some sort of force, surely?

If you are going to be offended by people knocking on your door with
(presumably) good intentions, what are you doing to give them fair notice
before they even knock?

And more fuel for the fire - if you saw someone trying to hammer in a nail
with a hacksaw, wouldn't you feel compelled (at least out of pity if not
anything else) to advise them to use a hammer? Witnessing someone beating
themselves up because they simply can't 'drive' Windows the way they want
and giving them some advice about alternatives is somehow wrong? Somehow
offensive? Do you normally take offense when people give you advice? The
best time to highlight an alternative is when someone is in need. The same
thing goes for religion incidentally.

--
David.