[wellylug] Aims or Objectives

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Apr 19 12:51:19 NZST 2004

--- Colin Klenner <colink at clear.net.nz> wrote:
> Recently I saw someone ask about the aims of the LUG.
>
> These were the ones I suggested in January:
>
> a) To exchange Linux and Open Source Software knowledge and experience.
>
> b) To encourage the use of Linux and Open Source Software
>
> For discussion.
> Key words  Exchange, Encourage

To try & get to the root of the disagreement as I see it....

Encourage seems to be the contentious word. Personally I'm in favour of
encourage, & I think such activities should be a core part of what a LUG does.

However, IMHO, it should NOT be part of its role to DISCOURAGE.

Most of the concerns I've seen expressed about Linux evangelism relate to LUG
members not so much encouraging the use of Linux, but about denigrating other
options and discouraging their use.

To perhaps muddy the waters, core functions of a LUG are surely to provide
support, information and communication. (Which are not there explicitly, and
are not really covered as important roles by exchange or encourage).

Anyway, the "evangelising" concern is mostly (as I read it) about closed mind
open source. Apologies if I've got it all wrong....

Make WLUG about the right to choice, not about restricting possible solutions??
About open minded solutions, not just open source software.

We may not agree with other's choices, but WLUG is not about denigrating those
who disagree with us.

I don't see polite disagreement or providing information about alternatives as
negative, tho it may well be perceived as evangelism. The issue seems to be
about everyone's right to choose their own solution.

If this approach gets general approval, we can then think about suitable words.

Brent.