[wellylug] Broadband

Tony Wills ajwills at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 12 22:05:40 NZST 2004

At 21:00 12/08/04 +1200, Michael wrote:
>Tony Wills writes:
> >Why buy?
>
>(1) Power[0].
>(2) Noise[1].
>(3) Space[1].
>(4) Reliability (no moving parts! -- and I include floppy disks in that).
>[0] And therefore running cost.
>
>[1] And therefore running cost of a different sort, involving the wife,
>     and her being pleased about the extra room in the study.

1) Difficult for a PC to beat admittedly, but $98 buys you a couple of
years of power for a 50W device
2) Doesn't have to be a problem (no hdd, no cpu fan, slow PSU fan)
3) Difficult for a PC to beat, but can be very unobtrusive (slimline case,
no monitor/keyboard etc)
4) Only moving part really is PSU fan (run that at low speed for low noise
and long life)
On coyote the floppy is only used at boot (system runs from a ram disk), so
once a year maybe ;-)