[wellylug] proposal, short !!!

Tony Wills ajwills at paradise.net.nz
Sat Aug 14 19:26:03 NZST 2004

At 21:32 13/08/04 -0700, Brent wrote:
>...I went off list to avoid inflicting you all with more on this. If you
>think it
>should be here, let me know & I'll inflict it on you.

In general I think it is better to discuss all wellylug business online,
this has two advantages
1) People don't start forming little pressure groups to try and sway (or
control) the overall group
(the group can of course form special interest groups etc to go away and do
their own thing and report back)
2) You don't need to re-explain to everybody else how the ideas developed.

The org-list is specifically here to take this noise from the main list,
there's no need to go elsewhere to spare us from it too!

>So, a proposal which I hope will resolve such issues in future before they
>occur:
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  Any member or organiser of Wellylug, before initiating any activity on
> behalf
>  of the LUG, must post a proposal to the org list describing the activity &
>  their reasons. The list may respond by:

Why not just 'any member' or do we expect to have organisers who aren't
members?

>  1. Giving implicit approval, by a lack of expressed concerns or by
> expressing
>     support.

Um, no!  Assuming implicit approval because you don't get any concerns
expressed is a bit of a non-starter.  If you can't generate enough interest
to get people to explicitly support it then maybe it isn't something the
group should do.

>  2. Giving explicit approval of the original or modified proposal after some
>     discussion on the list.
>  3. Referring the proposal to a vote by the wider membership for approval.
>
>  The proposal must be posted to the full wellylug list as soon as possible
>  upon being approved.
>
>  If this procedure is not followed, or approval not obtained, the activity
>  will not be on behalf of the LUG, but will be on their own behalf.
>+++++++++++++++++++++++

>I think Jethro seconded it in his email to me, can we present it at the next
>meeting (or have a poll prior??)

You think?  If seconding a motion/suggestion/proposal is to have any
meaning I think it should come direct from the seconder so there is no
question !! :-)

I'm not clear does (1) & (2) allow the org-list to 'approve' proposals and
commit the group to them?

Do I take it that one person demanding a proposal be voted on by the wider
membership is sufficient to invoke (3) ?

Apart from those niggles I think it would be good to have some basic
decision making procedure like this in place.  But I think perhaps we need
to define what 'approval' means - is this some sort of vote?  Without some
sort of vote who determines when a proposal has been discussed for long
enough and who decides when it has been approved?