[wellylug] Xandros dialup problem

Nick Jensen nickspoon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 15:34:17 NZDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:22:18 +1300, Peter Jones <peterj at indeserve.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all, having a dialup problem with Xandros (debian based) that I hope
> someone can advise on.
> Xandros detects modem on serial port (external hardware modem), identifies
> it correctly etc.
> can setup name/userid, phone number etc but won't connect unless I am logged
> in as root.
> I understand that this is not a good idea. I guess it's a permissions thing,
> any idea what I need to change?

How are you logging in? pon? If it's from the command line, you can
run a command as root without actually logging in using su with the -c
option.

su -c 'pon paradise'

after which you'll get prompted for the root password. There are
better ways of handling this, but it's often handy to run root
commands without needing to log on as root.

Nick