[wellylug] I think my motherboards gone.... :-(

Jethro Carr dodocaptain at paradise.net.nz
Sun Dec 19 10:15:46 NZDT 2004

hi all,

I have a issue with my desktop, which is only a couple of weeks old,
booting.

PROBLEM::
Yesterday, I turned it on. Just after grub started the kernel, the
system locked up. I had booted it up the day before, and I had made no
changes to any configuration. I turned it off & started it again. This
time it locked up, just after the ram test, before the drive test.

I've noticed a slight whiny noise too, which never existed before.

ATTEMPTS TO FIX::
I opened the case & had it on. All the fans, including the CPU's are
going fine.

I left it off & unplugged from the mains for about 30 minutes. When I
came back I turned it on, but it locked up, just after the kernal
started. When I rebooted it locks up after the ram again.

I tried unplugging the hard disk to see if that was it, but it made no
difference.

DIAGNOSTIC::
I think it might be a failing capaciter on my motherboard. This would
explain the whiny noise, and also explain how unplugging the pc from the
mains helps it to get to the kernel boot, as the capaciter gets drained
as the pc is off.

Can anyone else confirm with my diagnostic based on the info given?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro.

thanks,

--
-- Jethro

dodocaptain at paradise.net.nz