[wellylug] Dedicated linux firewalls boxes

Phillip Rose rosewong at paradise.net.nz
Thu Feb 19 11:03:57 NZDT 2004

At 13:47 18/02/04 +1300, you wrote:
>At 11:17 17/02/04 +1300, Adam Bogacki wrote:
>>FYI,
>>
>>http://firehol.sourceforge.net/
>
>Interesting, I might try his system.
>
>What I am very interested in are dedicated linux firewall boxes.
(...)

My humble home setup: 2 dual-boot PCs and SmoothWall GPL 1.0 final-p9 on a
P166/64MB RAM/4GB HDD/External Dialup Modem (no DSL or cable yet!). I see
that I will need to upgrade to the next free version of Smoothwall,
SmoothWall Express 2.0 in the next few months. This is the announcement:
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3022

I also looked at several hardware firewall options before choosing
Smoothwall. It is easy to install, use and maintain. You really don't need
much Linux experience at all with its easy browser interface. Once it's set
up, you don't need a monitor, either because the basics are covered through
the web browser, and you can ssh into it for geekier stuff. Smoothwall is
capable of handling some pretty complex setups, so I would check it out for
your situation. There are free and commercial versions of Smoothwall. The
gpl-ed version is on
http://www.smoothwall.org/
NOT on smoothwall.net.

If anyone has any experience with SmoothWall Express 2.0, I'd be interested
in hearing about it. I hesitate to upgrade on my fairly minimal hardware
when the old version is working so well, but I must do so by June.

--Phillip Rose